No plans to add South Africa to Six Nations, says chief executive
Six Nations general manager Ben Morel insists there are no plans to add South Africa to the championship, with improving the July and November windows seen as a higher priority.
The Springboks have been persistently linked to the tournament despite signing a contract to compete in the rugby championship until 2030.
SA Rugby chief executive Jurie Roux said last month his world champions would be interested in joining, but at Tuesday’s Fall Nations Series launch, Morel ruled out an invitation for the foreseeable future. .
âThis is not a question now. From what I understand South Africa is engaged in the rugby championship and at the same time we are focusing on July and November, âsaid Morel.
“The Six Nations have grown and reduced their squad numbers in a very short period of time over their 140 years, so that’s something we would be very careful to do.”
The Six Nations are hosting the fall campaign – now called the Autumn Nations Series – and are also involved in discussions about the new season structure for the international calendar after the 2023 World Cup.
It is hoped that by bringing together the summer tours in July and the annual tests in November, a global competition will be created.
âWe’re pretty happy with what we have, but we’re sure it could be improved. If that leads to a final or some sort of ranking, that would be positive, âsaid Morel.
âIt’s complex, but the Six Nations are playing a leading role in what the solution might be. Some sort of finale is exciting and that’s what the fans want to see.